- Role and responsibilities
The Shelter/WASH Project Coordinator leads the implementation of infrastructural projects in urban and rural settings (water supply, wastewater, energy, construction) and he/she is responsible for overseeing the planning, design and supervision of infrastructural activities implemented by NRC in those contexts.
The purpose of the Shelter/WASH Project Coordinator position is to ensure that project activities pertaining to repair and rehabilitation/refurbishment of buildings, maintenance of water systems and energy efficient solutions are planned, implemented, monitored and reported according to NRC standards and procedures and national regulations.
- Direct management of the Shelter/WASH team, setting clear objectives for team members and indicators to monitor performance
- Ensure compliance with NRC building refurbishment strategy, tools, guidelines and standards
- Contribute to core competency strategy development and provide input on needs and gaps identified in NRC’s geographical and programmatic area of implementation
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Shelter/WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, ensure high technical quality, and provide regular reports to the Shelter/WASH Project Manager
- Manage the project budget in his/her geographical and programmatic areas of implementation
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in project activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders (i.e. local authorities, other humanitarian organizations, volunteer groups)
- Promote the rights of IDPs in line with NRC’s advocacy strategy
- Coordinate and lead infrastructural technical assessments in target buildings/infrastructure to identify refurbishment/upgrade needs and define intervention strategy/plans
- Contribute to development of specific technical guidance, tools and mechanism to support and monitor the activities of the Shelter/WASH team.
- Ensure proper sensitisation of the community about the planned activities.
- Contribute to organisational learning through the provision specific of technical analysis, lessons learned and reports
- Provide regular progress reports to the Shelter/WASH PM.
- Provide specific technical input to coordination mechanism (e.g. cluster coordination) and working groups when requested by the PM
- Ensure a comprehensive documentation of all activities conducted
- Closely cooperate with the other departments to ensure adequate planning and implementation of a coherent integrated programme in target areas in Northern Ukraine
- Closely cooperate with other departments to address cross-cutting issues that might arise during the implementation of project activities
- Support the line manager in drafting reports of any kind and contributing to proposals writing with development of work plan, budget, BoQs, list of activities
- Liaise with local government/community to advocate for NRC Shelter/WASH activities and to obtain required permissions for project implementation
- Elaborate a Shelter/WASH strategy to meet all donor and project specific requirements as stipulated in the partnership agreements and general donor guidelines
- Assist with any other duties assigned by line manager as and when required.
1. Professional competencies
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience within construction works and/or shelter/WASH programming
- Technical specific knowledge on Shelter and/or WASH, ideally in the framework of humanitarian programs
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in people’s management
- Documented technical competences related to the position’s responsibilities
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good working knowledge of the mandates and modalities of the international humanitarian sector including the UN cluster system
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise authoritatively with figures from the humanitarian community, local media, local government and army, and other relevant actors, when required
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision and in compliance with basic security rules.
- Good understanding of humanitarian compliance vis-à-vis donors and accountability to donors and affected populations
- Good external representation skills.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian essential
- Good proficiency in English, both written and verbal, essential
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful situations with respect for basic security rules
- Knowledge of the Ukrainian building code and regulations is an advantage
- Type of contract: till December 2022 with the possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Chernihiv, Ukraine
** This position is subjected to national recruitment, Only Ukrainian nationals will be considered for this role. Applications will be reviewed on ongoing basis, therefore we encourage interested candidates to apply early**